Tuesday 27 August 2013

GAMSAT - Chemistry

I have nearly finished my revision for the Chemistry section of GAMSAT (I think)
I've been steadily making my way through a list of recommended topics and making sure I understand them.

Although since I've been going through the practice questions, the chemistry questions seem so much harder than what I have been revising! (cry)

Here is a list of the topics I have covered for Chemistry, and I haven't really done "proper" Chemistry since AS Level and I've basically forgotten it all and I HATE it :(

Atoms

  • Periodic trends and the nature of atoms
  • Understand common elements
  • Balance equations
Bonding 
  • Different types and properties of bonds
  • Electronegativity and polarity of molecules 
  • Effect of electron withdrawing groups
  • Electron orbitals and quantum numbering 
Equilibrium 
  • Le Chateliers principle
  • Effect of heat, catalysts and concentration on rate of reaction
Gases
  • Ideal gas laws 
Solutions 
  • Apply Ksp values
  • Understand how chemical properties effect solubility 
Colligative Properties
  • Boiling point elevation and freezing point depression
  • Raoults Law 
  • Heat capacity and specific heat
Thermodynamics
  • Laws of thermodynamics
  • Gibbs free energy, entropy, enthalpy
  • Predict wether a reaction will be spontaneous
  • Will a reaction be exo/endo
Acids and Bases
  • Pka values
  • conjugate pairs
  • Does a molecule act as a base or a pair depending on it's structure
  • General acid base stuff!
  • Oxidation and reduction 
  • Apply E values
Organic Chemistry 
  • IUPAC naming conventions
  • Draw molecular structures from name 
  • Isomers
  • Chirality
  • Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes
  • Alcohols, Esters, Carboxylic Acids, Amines, Ketones, Aldehydes etc
  • Properties and effects of major functional groups


No comments:

Post a Comment